Monday, July 8, 2013

Climb 036: Mud Trekking, River Crossing Plus Canyoneering

Canyoneering at Buruwisan
with Extreme Outdoor Club
DESTINATION: Mt. Romelo 300 MASL
JUMP-OFF POINT: Brgy Macatad, Upland Siniloan, Laguna
SPECS: Minor Climb, Difficulty 2/9, Trail class 1
CLIMB DATES: July 6-7, 2013

Sir Edzel Herrera of Extreme Adventure Club and Sir Jay-arc Nodado paved the way for me to go back and regain my quest for extreme adventures. It had been months since I've had a taste of an extreme outdoor adventure that causes my stomach to feel funny and my blood to rush up my brains.

First activity: Night mud trekking. We started around 5pm at the jump-off point of Mt. Romelo. It had rained that afternoon, we didn't have a guide, and that we only had 2 headlamps. Good job! The good thing about Carlo's cellular phone is that it had a GPS navigation system on it, so it was easy for us to check if we were going too far from the original trail.

After some short cuts, a limatik session, muddy slips, we were finally at the camp site. We were greeted by those who were still awake and who were having socials. The warm people of Extreme Adventure Club lent us a camp lamp, another set of camp stove, and some cook set for us to be able to finish preparing dinner, which turned out to be midnight snack.
After dinner, we gathered to have a few drinks with Sir Edzel and Sir Jay-Arc. Sir Edzel mentioned that he brought a mermaid suit with him and was asking me to pose for the camera wearing it. I gladly said yes.

The following day, I was awakened by a call, the mermaid suit was ready for me. And so, we had the photo-shoot session with Sir Naz Tolentino as the chief photographer.

After the photo shoot, the rappelling activity began. There were more than 40 jumpers and our group didn't want to crowd up the jumping area, so we gathered there and were the last batch to jump.

The jump was quite mystifying. As I was roping myself down, I could see the water going down with me. It seemed surreal...

After the jump, we packed up and headed down in the hopes that I could get to the exit point on time and be in Makati for my shift at 8pm. But no, I didn't, so I had to call in sick/injured.

The way back to Ortigas was a winding road that got my stomach churning, I had to force myself to sleep to forget about puking on the bus.

We reached Ortigas around 11pm. Nep got off the bus earlier than the 3 of us, and Carlo and Cely carpooled me to Bicutan exit.

It was a once-in-a-lifetime adventure that was worth losing my call-center job for.






No comments:

Post a Comment